One of the main concerns of medical universities in Iran is promoting the quality of medical education through applying concepts, findings and theories of educational sciences to different disciplines of medical sciences. The PhD of medical education provides such an opportunity. This program is recommended to all professionals who work in an educational health related setting and have a desire to foster their professional learning and enhance their prospective career. This major with a focus on teaching and training is suitable for those who wish to gain further skills and knowledge in the area of Medical Education.
The PhD of Medical Education is an interdisciplinary program whose main concern is development and application of educational concepts and theories in the field of medical sciences.
The aim of this program is to train graduates who will be able to utilize their knowledge, expertise and today technology in order to train prospective students in the field of medical education. In addition, capabilities such as implementing and doing applied research, theory development, and improving the quality of research and education by planning, evaluating, and leadership are important matters in this regard.
Our mission is to become the pioneer in the field of medical education in the region by training competent and enthusiastic students who have the required competencies to improve the level of education and health.
Specific Competencies and Skills
As a result of educational, scientific, and resource pressures, it is necessary to have experts in the field of medical education. The following core competency areas can be the focus of this course:
- Medical education expert
- Educational leader
- Curriculum designer
- Educational researcher
- Learner assessor
- Professional environment worker
- New instructional methods applier
Our graduates will be able to take 3 essential roles as:
I. Experts in education by:
- Designing the required training and providing the relevant people and institutes with it
- Planning intervention programs to promote the quality of medical education and health systems
- Evaluating programs during and after their implementation
- Planning and implementing methods and tools for evaluating learners, teachers as well as examinations
- Participating in faculty development programs regarding education and research
II. Experts in research by:
- Designing, leading, and implementing developmental research in medical education
- Designing needs assessment programs
- Doing purposive research activities in order to increase Iran's quota of knowledge production
III. Experts in counseling by:
- Providing educational managers with counseling services to enhance the educational system and revise the undergraduate and postgraduate curricula
- Designing, leading, and participating in necessary interventions for reform in medical education
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
- All faculty members and general doctorate holders in one of the fields of Medicine, Dentistry, or Pharmacy can participate in the entrance examination.
- Master’s degree (MSc) or PhD degree in one of the fields of medical sciences.
- Master's degree holders in one of the fields of education (educational planning, curriculum planning, and educational technology)
Priority will be given to faculty members teaching in colleges or universities of medical sciences.
The eligible candidate should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 4 years
- Core: 20 credits
- Non-core (Electives): 6 credits
- Thesis (MSc): 18 credits
- Total 44 credites
Tables of the Course
For more information, please click here.
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Department of Medical Education, Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person: Dr. Mandana Shirazi
Tel.: (+98 21) 88955712
Address: Department of Medical Education, No. 57, Hojatdoost Alley, Naderi St., Keshavarz Blvd., Tehran, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 168
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university:
- Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Graduate Admission Requirements
- Scholarships and Financial Aids
- Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
- Student Housing
- Degree Programs
- Non-Degree Programs