Anesthesia Education (Anesthesia Technology)
Considering the advancements in anaesthesiology and the development of related technology and equipment, the necessity to train anaesthesiology students at master’s level has gotten important. To perform a successful surgery, members of a specialized team should act in coordination. Among the most important members of the surgical team is ananesthesia technologist. The responsibilities of such a person are to prepare the anesthesia instruments and environment, observe sterilization, assist the anaesthesiologist during anesthesia, and perform patient care before, during, and after anesthesia. These individuals’ preparedness requires special professional training, and the present curriculum is designed to that end. The program has been ratified by the Medical Sciences Supreme Planning Council and been submitted to related universities to be performed.
Master of Science in Anesthesiology is one of the medical sciences educational programs, during which students become familiar with new anesthesiology principles, different anesthesia techniques, and related equipment, instruments, and drugs. Moreover, they learn how to take care of patients under general and local anesthesia before, during, and after general, special, and subspecial surgeries.
Familiarity with care principles and techniques of acute pain control and with measures to be taken in medical emergencies and needed action in critical situations are also among students’ training programs. Graduates of this program will provide the society with what they learn in the areas of education, research and services.
General Expected Competencies
- Communication skills
- Statistical calculations
- Research and scientific article publication
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Evidence-based management skills (planning, organizing, monitoring, controlling, evaluating)
Specific Expected Competencies
- Monitoring patients’ vital signs and body systems continuously and reporting abnormalities to the anesthesiologist,
- Controlling infections during anesthesia and surgeries and preventing their transmission and spread,
- Preparing patients mentally and physically before anesthesia,
- Taking care of patients before, during, and after anesthesia,
- Helping to make patients unconscious with anesthesiologist’s direct responsibility,
- Participating in the CPR team,
- Participating in patients’ protection against potential anesthesia side effects,
- Cooperating with and giving assistance to the anesthesiologist to re-establish proper airway using different available equipment and pipes as required,
- Participating in the functioning evaluation of devices and equipment under an anesthesiologist’s supervision,
- Cooperating and giving assistance to register the papers related to anesthesia under the supervision of an anesthesiologist,
- Helping anesthesiologists to resuscitate patients,
- Assisting in patients’ transfer to PACU,
- Settling in PACU and providing healthcare services to patients,
- Controlling and registering patients’ vital signs and monitoring different body systems till full consciousness,
- Using oxygen therapy devices, humidifiers, etc. effectively according to the anesthesiologist’s order,
- Taking part in isolation and infection control procedures,
- Participating in the provision, preparation, and maintenance of devices, equipment, tools, and other facilities needed in PACU,
- Participating in procedures related to patients’ discharge from PACU under an anesthesiologist’s supervision,
- Helping anesthesiologists in pain control methods,
- Monitoring vital signs and oxygenation sufficiency and reporting the cases,
- Monitoring the possible side effects of pain-service patients and reporting the cases to the anesthesiologist; and,
- Participating and giving assistance in patients’ discharge from the pain service under an anesthesiologist’s supervision.
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Holding a Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc.) in anesthesiology received in Iran or abroad
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 2.5 years
Courses and number of credits:
Obligatory, Special Courses: 32 Credits
Thesis : 4 Credits
Total : 36 Credits
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Department of Medical Biotechnology Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person: : Mr. Fariborz Mehrani
Tel.: (+98 21) 8898 2905, Ext.: 145
Email : email@example.com
Address: Department of Anesthesia Technology, TUMS School of Allied Medical Sciences, Farre Danesh St., Qods St., Enghelab St., Tehran, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 169
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: