The PhD in Health Economics develops an analytical framework to study different aspects of health care system with an emphasis on demand for and supply of health care services, health care production and costs, and a market analysis of health care industry. Some of the important parties that play a role in the health care industry include private health insurance firms, physicians, the pharmaceutical industry, hospital services, and the government. These are studied critically in Health Economics program. In addition, the program deals with the role of government in health care industry and various health care reforms. The course content also includes a deep understanding of supply and demand for health, agency relationship, provider induced demand, moral hazard, efficiency in health care, markets and quasi-markets in health, equity, remuneration methods and incentives, financing health systems, insurance, DRGs and HRGs, national health accounts, resource allocation, priority setting, and challenges to health economics.
The PhD in Health Economics is a standard professional program designed to provide opportunity for students to learn fundamental skills in the core areas of health care system, including health economics, management and policy with a specific focus on theoretical and empirical aspects of health economics and efficient use of limited healthcare resources. The program is specifically designed for those seeking a broader sense of knowledge and skills of health economics to improve health and healthcare in the community.
The primary objective of the course is to provide students with a thorough overview of selected topics in the field of health economics; and to familiarize graduate students with the current knowledge and work in the field of health economics with the ultimate aim of preparing them for serious research in health economics.
Expected Competencies at the End of the Program
Specific Competencies and Skills
At the end of the program learners will be competent in the following skills:
- Understanding and describing health systems goals and functions and the concept, importance and implication of health economics in healthcare setting
- Diagnosing, investigating and prioritizing healthcare problems and solutions
- Designing and developing research projects to add insights and find innovative solutions to health problems specially economic evaluation of healthcare programs
- Informing, educating and empowering people about healthcare economic problems and solutions
- Developing and prioritizing policies and plans that support healthcare
- Evaluating effectiveness, cost effectiveness, accessibility and quality of health services
- Applying evidence-based research results to develop and manage policies, strategies and action plans in healthcare
- Understanding how to strengthen and reorient healthcare services for effective and costeffective prevention, control and management of diseases
- Planning and managing finance
- Working as a professional in health system
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Holding a master's degree (MSc) in Health Economics received in Iran or abroad.
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 4 years
Courses and number of credits:
Prerequisite courses: 9 credits
Special Courses: 21 credits
Thesis: 20 credits
Total: 50 credits
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of Health Economics
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Department of Health Economics Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person: : Dr. Ebrahim Jaafari Pooyan
Tel.: (+98 21) 42933058
Email : email@example.com
Address: Department of Health Economics and Management, 4th Floor, West wing, School of Public Health (SPH), Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), Engheleb Square, Tehran, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 169
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: