Health Education and Health Promotion
Health Education and Health Promotion is interested in all aspects of health sciences, especially new trends such as health communication, life style, education of self-care, individual and community empowerment. The program at PhD level was launched in 1999 in Tehran University of Medical Sciences, and subsequently the medical universities of Iran, Shahid Beheshti, Isfahan, Yazd, Hamadan and Tabriz admitted students to the program. It is worth mentioning that the initial title of the program – Health Education – was replaced by Health Education and Health Promotion in 2011.
The PhD graduates in this field will acquire the knowledge and skills to identify the determinants of health and to design, implement and evaluate the health-related programs. They help in enabling people to improve and have better control over their health. The Program is mainly intended to:
- Change the behaviors of the individuals or social groups
- Improve the quality of life for people in the community
- Have an impact on Social Determinants of Health (Political and socio-economic factors)
- Create health promotion settings
- Participate in health policy meetings
- Meet the needs of scientific research and management centers
Expected Competencies at the End of the Program
Specific Competencies and Skills
At the end of the program learners will be competent in the following skills:
Designing, managing and promoting health improvement programs.
- Critically evaluating research articles and scientific documents.
- Managing interventional programs in the field of health education and health promotion.
- Cooperating with policy-makers in policy making in all sectors of the society.
- Encouraging and attracting people and organizations to take part in programs on health education and health promotion.
- Communicating with the relevant bodies to seek their support for health education and health promotion.
- Developing the health awareness of individuals, groups and organizations and empowering them with the ability to make wise and healthy choices.
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Holding a master's degree (MSc) in health education, social sciences and sociology, social welfare, medical education, midwifery, maternal and infant health, psychology and education, Nursing, health policy; or a general doctorate in medicine or dentistry, a professional doctorate in veterinary medicine, a clinical specialty or higher degrees in medicine and dentistry received in Iran or abroad.
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 4 years
Courses and number of credits:
Prerequisite courses: 4 credits
Special Courses: 18 credits
Thesis: 20 credits
Total: 42 credits
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of Health Education and Health Promotion
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Department of Health Education and Health Promotion Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person: : Dr. Gholamreza Andaji Garmaroudi
Tel.: (+98 21) 42933255
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Department of Health Education and Health Promotion, School of Public Health (SPH), Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), Engheleb Square, Tehran, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 169
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: