This PhD Program is designed to provide opportunity for students to learn fundamental skills in the core areas of health systems including healthcare management, policy and economics with a specific focus on health policy including scientific and systematic analysis of policies affecting healthcare and population health. The program is specifically designed for those seeking a broader sense of knowledge and skills of health policy to improve health and healthcare in the community. It focuses on the behavior of individuals, healthcare providers, insurers, and other actors, states and local governments; and how their actions might affect health systems and medical care.
The primary objective of the course is to provide students with a thorough overview of selected topics in the field of health policy; and to acquaint graduate students with the current knowledge and work in the field of health policy with the ultimate aim of preparing them for serious research in health policy.
Expected Competencies at the End of the Program
Specific Competencies and Skills
At the end of the program learners will be competent in:
- understanding and describing health systems goals and functions
- diagnosing and investigating healthcare problems and solutions
- performing analytical assessment of healthcare and health systems
- informing, educating and empowering people about healthcare problems and solutions
- mobilizing community partnerships to identify and solve healthcare problems
- developing policies and plans that support healthcare
- evaluating effectiveness, accessibility and quality of health services
- designing and developing research projects to add insights and find innovative solutions to health problems
- applying the evidence base for the development and management of policies, strategies and plans of action in healthcare
- choosing policy options, as well as cost-effective and evidence-based intervention methods in healthcare
- designing, developing, implementing and evaluating national and local strategies in healthcare
- putting strategies into practice in the national and local plans of actions
- understanding how to strengthen healthcare systems to effectively implement strategies and action plans
- understanding how to strengthen and reorient healthcare services for effective prevention, control and management of diseases, and how to measure accessibility to services
- understanding how to expand and improve the cooperation between various sectors
- making efforts to strengthen national capacity, leadership, and the interdepartmental and intersectoral approach to improve health and healthcare services
- demonstrating the importance of and the need for partnerships and interdepartmental cooperation for improvement of health and healthcare services
- financial planning and management
- Leadership and systems thinking
- policy development and program planning
- working as a professional in health system
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Degree in General Physicians (M.D),a Pharm-D,a Doctor of Veterinary (DV), a Doctor of Laboratory (DL), a Doctor of Dentistry (DMD) or having a master's degree (MSc) in Health Economics (all fields), Health Services Management, Epidemiology, Environmental Health, Occupational Health, Health Education and Promotion, MBA and Managementreceived in Iran or abroad
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 4 Years
Courses and number of credits:
Prerequisite courses: 4 credits
Special Courses: 24 credits
Thesis: 20 credits
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of Health Policy
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Department of Health Policy, Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person : Dr. Amirhossein Takian
Tel.: (+98 21) 42 93 32 25
Email : email@example.com
Address: School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Enqelab Square, Tehran, Iran..
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 168
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: