Food Safety and Hygiene
This doctoral program is intended to train highly qualified scientific experts in health, food safety and agrifood topics. The program also aims to educate PhD students in advanced nutrition and food science through the development of original research and enhancement of capabilities and competences related to high-quality research.
Graduates should be competent in the following areas.
- Communication skills
- Competency-based Education
- Research and writing of scientific documentation
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Teamwork skills
- Management skills
Specific Competencies and Skills
- Designing, implementing and evaluating various food and food sampling methods
- Analyzing and interpreting microbial contamination test results
- Analyzing and interpreting food chemical contamination test results
- Commissioning, setting, calibrating and working with related laboratory equipment and supplies
Expected Competencies at the End of the Program
The graduates are expected to develop the competency to do the followings:
- To meet the demand for PhDs in different fields of Health and Nutrition sciences.
- To provide theoretical and practical training as well as the necessary capabilities and competences in the field of food safety.
- To combine human and infrastructure resources from different departments for a more efficient, food synergy in this broad scientific field.
- To take advantage of the experience of the existing teaching and research staff in training PhD students as a way to strengthen the European Higher Education and Research Area.
- To facilitate collaboration at doctoral level in order to promote networking and mobility both at the national and international levels.
- To promote research activities aimed at presentation of doctoral theses.
- To consolidate an annual demand of students that allows planning of training activities for a wide audience.
- To satisfy the demand of master’s students, like those taking the official master’s, in getting engaged in research career on Food Safety developments
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Holding a Bachelor's Degree (B.Sc.) in Food Safety and Hygiene, Food Microbiology, Food Science and Technology (Quality control), Health Sciences in Nutrition, Nutrition Sciences in Crises and Emergencies, Environmental Health Engineering, General Practitioner, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, General pharmacist.
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian. Psychology
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 4 Years
Courses and number of credits:
Prerequisite courses: 4 credits
Special Courses: 20 credits
Compensatory: 10 credits
Thesis: 18 credits
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of Food Safety and Hygiene
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Division of Food Safety and Hygiene, Department of Environmental Health Engineering, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person : Dr. Golam Reza Jahed Khaniki
Tel.: (+98 21) 42933277
Address: Poorsina street, Division of Food Safety and Hygiene, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 168
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: