Nutritional Medicine (Online)
Most countries have demonstrable nutrition-related health problems spanning the range of under-nutrition, poverty-related food insecurity, micronutrient deficiencies, and diet-related chronic diseases. About seventy percent of the most prevalent diseases leading to ill health and premature deaths are considered to be nutritionally oriented.
The increasing incidence of diet-related diseases and the growing evidence of the role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of diseases demonstrate the importance of nutrition in the health and wellbeing of the population.
In order to develop effective nutritional treatment plans for communities and individuals, it is essential to have the required ability that will make it possible to solve the aforementioned problems. This technological ability is rooted in the Nutritional Medicine program, which will additionally be able to explore the role of nutrition in disease prophylaxis and management that will lead to a happy, healthy and vibrant life.
Nutritional Medicine is a new field in medicine that is based on clinical nutrition but is wider in scope, covering aspects of nutrition and health via the role that nutrition plays in health, disease, lifecycle and ageing.
In this program students will gain a deep evidence-based understanding of the complex relationships between nutrition and diseases. They will learn to take a critical and scholarly approach to theory, practice, literature and research findings, resulting in a deeper understanding of the range and potential of the nutritional management of disease.
This program prepares graduates to practice in a wide range of clinical, consulting and industrial settings. The program emphasizes on an integrative approach to healthcare.
The Objectives of the program is to inform and train those to whom the public turns for advice on nutritionally-related aspects of health and disease.
In keeping with modern concepts concerning master graduates in the field of nutrition, all graduates will be expected to enthusiastically inform and inspire their patients and clients to adopt health-protecting and the healthy diets and develop plans to prevent, and even reverse all nutrition related-diseases in enhanced health and well-being of the patients and the community.
The graduate of M.Sc. degree in Nutritional Medicine is a professional who:
- Has competency as a research assistant
- Can identify the causes of health issues, educate the patient and develop treatment and prevention plans to re-establish and promote ongoing optimal health and wellbeing.
- Can combine the traditions related to food as medicine and modern dietary planning with scientific advances in the use of nutrients at therapeutic doses in the treatment, management and prevention of disease.
Specific Competencies and Skills (Special Qualifications):
The graduate of MSc degree in Nutritional Sciences has competency to:
- Counsel individuals and groups on basic roles of good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and nutrition monitoring to improve their quality of life.
- Assess nutritional needs, diet restrictions and current health plans to improve and implement nutritional plans.
- Provide nutritional counseling to patients with non-communicable disease, brain and nervous system, gastrointestinal disease and other diseases that nutrition can potentially prevent or control them.
- Advise patients and their families on the importance of nutritional principles, and food selection and preparation
- Make recommendations regarding public policy, such as food fortification and nutrition standards for specific groups.
- Participate in planning and conducting research projects on diet and nutrition.
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Holding a Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc.) in Dietetics, Nutritional Medicine, Nutritional Sciences orPharm.D Degree, received in Iran or abroad
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 3 years
Courses and number of credits:
Total: 24 credits
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of Nutritional Medicine
In case of any inquiries, please contact the Office of Vice-Dean for International Affairs at TUMS School of Nutritional Sciences and Dietetics through the following:
Contact Person: : Dr. Maryam Mahmoudi
Tel.: (+98 21) 88955975-88955742
Postal Code: 14155-6117
Address: School of Nutritional Sciences and Dietetics, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran , Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 169
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: