Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
Oral and maxillofacial radiology is one of the specialty courses in dentistry, which deals with the principles of physics and radiation protection, imaging techniques and interpretation of lesions. Graduates passing the specialty exams held by the authorities of the Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education will be certified as oral and maxillofacial radiologists.
The General Objectives
The aim of the curriculum in the field of oral and maxillofacial radiology is to train specialists who have achieved the standards of knowledge, beliefs and opinions and practical skills up to national and global standards. In addition, the graduates should be able to provide high-quality diagnostic services and have an active role in expanding the boundaries of knowledge and research within the framework of their specialty field.
The Specific Objectives
The graduates of the oral and maxillofacial radiology specialty course should have acquired following skills:
- Complete mastery of the principles of the physics of imaging, radiobiology, radiation protection, and intraoral and extraoral imaging in the oral and maxillofacial region
- Complete mastery of the normal radiologic features and changes in disease conditions and interpretation of different radiographic images of the oral and maxillofacial region
- Active participation in educational and research affairs of the field
At the end of the program learners will be competent in the following skills:
- Perform imaging procedures in oral and maxillofacial field
- Interpret dental and medical images in the field of face and related structures
- Manage an oral and maxillofacial radiology service
- Research in related fields
- Instruct in oral and maxillofacial field
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Degree in Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S) by one of the Iranian or foreign universities.
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved general physician program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 3 years
Total Course Credits
- Common basic sciences: 9.5
- Specific basic sciences: 1
- Faculty-presented related sciences 6
- Hospital-presented related sciences 13
- Core courses 93
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of Vice-Dean for International Affairs at TUMS School of Dentistry through the following:
Tel.: (+9821) 42794266
Email: or Dentistry_intl@tums.ac.ir
Address: Faculty of Dentistry: End of North Kargar Street, Tehran, 1439955991, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 169
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Ir
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: