Bachelor of Dental Science (B.D.S.)
Dentistry program (Bachelor degree) is one of the high educational course, being considered as a part of medical education plan. B.D.S. is a is a five-year program which consists of a competency-based educational plan with emphasis on prevention caring.
The Objectives of this program is training and teaching dental and oral specialists, having strong scientific bases for performing future researches in dentistry field, in addition to enjoying from educational-treating efficiency).
Also, they must cover qualitative and quantitative lack of needed human force, throughout the country.
Final objectives of considered plan are as followed:
- Establishing an oral health care/education system in coordination with general health (medical) care system;
- Supplying preventive-treatment services dentistry services, being just and common, for all people of country. It is performed, by qualitative and quantitative developing a desired servicing- educational system in field of health and treatment.
- Providing knowledge and abilities-in the field of oral health care-with needs of Islamic nation of Iran.
- Duration of program and mode of system:
Duration of this program is equal to 5 years.
To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Undergraduate Admission Requirements.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31, and the deadline for the February intake is October 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Instruction of this program is classified into following: general, basic and specialized (major). In accordance with way of teaching, it is divided into credits of theoretical, practical and theoretical-theoretical courses.
This program includes two phases:
- Phase 1 (1.5 years): In this part, students pass theoretical and practical courses of basic and general science, in university (class and laboratory).
- Phase 2 (3.5years): In this part, student learn specialized lessons in university (class and clinical parts). Also, they pass this course in clinical parts of the faculty and related hospitals in city and centers of province healthcare services for the Objectives of enjoying from more educational- treating efficiency.
Note: it is necessary to pass basic credits, for entering the clinical course (Second phase).
Remark: Students not passing their credits of base science, shall be allowed to enter into clinical course, if remained credits are not prerequisite of major credits.
Educational system is on the basis of bylaws, being issued by supreme council for planning. It is allocated 17 and 34 hours and each hour 60 minutes into each theoretical and practical credit, respectively.
Total number of course credits is equal to 177, as following:
- Basic credits 41
- General credits: 12
- Specialized credits 124
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of B.Sc. of Dental Science.
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of Vice-Dean for International Affairs at TUMS School of Dentistry through the following:
Contact Person: Dr. Pouyan Amini Shakib
Tel.: (+9821) 42794266
Address: Faculty of Dentistry: End of North Kargar Street, Tehran, 1439955991, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 168
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: