To establish, administer, develop, and run a hospital, it is highly significant to take advantage of managerial expertise specifically the expertise in management of Nursing Administration. In this regard, the departments of Nursing Administration were first established at several faculties of medicine schools namely Maryland, John Hopkins, Houston, and UCLA during 1970s. The aim of these departments was to train registered nurses who sought additional education to earn a Master of Science in Nursing or Doctor of Nursing Practice to prepare for leadership roles within nursing and Public Health programs. Consequently, Tehran University of Medical Sciences has been offering a Master of Science degree for Nursing Administration since 1987.
The M.Sc. in Nursing Administration is a program designed to enable students to play the role of leaders and managers at different levels of the health care system. The graduates of the program will be able to improve the quality of health care services.
The mission of the program is to train proficient, knowledgeable, committed, ethically aware, and responsible nursing managers in the region and among developing countries in order to take up leadership and management roles at different levels of nursing management through integrating the science of management and evidence-based practice, meritocracy, and expertise in the professional nursing management
- Training efficient and expert manpower to guide, lead and improve the quality of nursing care delivery at different levels and in several centers
- Training nursing managers proportional to human characteristics and values to maintain human dignity
- Qualifying students for doing applied research and using the results in solving problems related to nursing care
- Acquiring qualifications for guiding and leading clinical nurses to improve professional practice
- Contributing to health economy and improving efficiency in delivering nursing services
Communication skills, interviewing, reporting, critical thinking, professionalism as well as:
- Concepts and theories in nursing
- Evidence-based practice
- Research methodology in nursing
- Statistics for nursing research
Specific Competencies and Skills (Special Qualifications)
- Acquiring competence in managing and running units and clinical wards of the country’s hospitals
- Acquiring the capability to analyze the problems of nursing units in order to enhance the quality of nursing services
- Acquiring qualifications for conducting applied researches and employing the findings to solve nursing problems and make good decisions
- Acquiring qualifications for guiding and managing clinical nurses to improve their professional performance
Duration: 2.5 years
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Holding a Bachelor’s degree in nursing (B.Sc.) received in Iran or abroad
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Total Course Credits
- Prerequisite courses: 4 credits
- Core Courses: 28 credits
- Dissertation: 4 credits
- Total Number of Credits: 32
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Department of Nursing Management Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person: Dr. Khatera Silani
Tel.: ( 98 21) 61054120 - 61054119
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tohid Square, Nosrat Street, Tehran 14197-33171, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 169
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: