Specialty of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine
Infectious diseases and tropical medicine is a clinical specialty program that deals with prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases caused by pathogenic organisms such as different types of bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi, and prions in different groups.
- This training program plays an essential role in controlling epidemic contagious diseases and nosocomial infections as well as eradicating contagious diseases.
- Due to continuous changes in the distribution pattern of infectious diseases in Islamic republic of Iran and throughout the world, eradication of some infectious diseases, emerging and re-emerging of diseases in the world, discovery of new organisms with specific biological characteristics, technological changes, discovery of new drugs and antibiotics, bioterrorism and biological defense, alternative treatments among people etc., the infectious diseases and tropical medicine specialty curriculum is revised.
- We will become one of the top countries in region in next 10 years.
- To train liable, skillful specialists for service provision, education and science production.
Specific Competencies and Skills:
- Pleural effusion puncture Ascetic fluid puncture;
- Articular fluid puncture Bone marrow puncture;
- Pleural biopsy Bone marrow biopsy;
- Liver biopsy Aspiration and drainage of superficial abscess;
- Performing and analyzing arterial blood gases (ABG); and,
- Lumbar puncture (LP).
Method(s) of Instruction
During this course, various methods and techniques will be used:
- Various intra- and intersectoral, hospital, clinics, interdisciplinary and inter-university conferences as well as seminars;
- Bedside teaching in the general internal medicine wards (1 year);
- Bedside teaching in the infectious diseases wards (2 year);
- Participating in infectious disease outpatients clinic;
- Participation in training lower ranks;
- Discussion in small groups, workshops, journal clubs and reading groups as well as Case Presentation;
- Self-Education, Self-Study; and,
- Other training methods and techniques according to the requirements and objectives.
- 5000 USD. A scholarship is available for top applicants, current TUMS medical students, and international students from other Iranian medical universities, as well as participants from developing countries each year.
- 4 years, full-time.
Who Can Attend?
- Individuals holding an M.D. or M.B.B.S. degree.
- The eligible candidatemust have successfully completed an approved infectious diseases residency program and be proficient in English or Persian.
- Dr. Mahboobeh Hajiabdolbaghi
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel.: (+98 21) 6658 1598