The style sheet establishing Knowledge-Based Companies at (TUMS)(OLD)
The style sheet establishing Knowledge Based Companies at Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS)
Style sheet for establishing knowledge-based companies was approved at TUMS. The purpose of this style sheet is to utilize the capacities and capabilities of the university and research units and expanding the horizons of innovation in the field of medical sciences, moving towards a knowledge-based economy. This style sheet was prepared to create the necessary infrastructure for the implementation of article 17(note 4) of the Law of the Fifth Parliament of Iran and Law on the protection of companies and Institutions of knowledge-based and commercialization of innovations and inventions approved by the Islamic Consultative Assembly on May 5th, 2010.
Article 1): Definition
A knowledge-based establishment are a foundation or company, private or public, creating a knowledge-based business in order to transform knowledge into sustainable wealth; Economic activities of these companies is based on research and development (R&D) endeavors through new and advanced technologies. The achievements of these companies will be of invaluable importance in the development of a knowledge-based economy and society.
Commercialization of Research and Development (R&D) for designing, manufacturing and supply of goods or services and software, creation and development, technology transfer, development of high-value-added technologies, especially in software production will be some of the achievements of such knowledge-based activities.
Article 2) The purposes of establishing knowledge-based companies
1.Creating a framework to increase the capacity of universities, research units and faculty members in production and to meet the needs of society.
2. Empowering faculty members, graduates and research units to enter the business environment.
3. Attracting and transforming ideas and innovations into sustainable manufacturing.
4. Helping commercialize the results of research and invention; Also improving the level of product technology and services in the country.
5. Creating a knowledge network by collaborating with commercial, public and industrial organizations.
6. Increasing the dedicated revenues of universities, research units, faculty members and graduates.
Article 3) Terms and Conditions for the establishment and operation of knowledge-based companies
1. Any faculty member of the university, either alone or with the participation of other faculty members or private sector, can establish a knowledge-based company.
To establish a knowledge-based company, the faculty member has to obey this document's guidelines along with the approval of the Industry Relations Council.
Note: The activities of faculty members in knowledge-based companies are not contrary to educational and research activities and shall comply with the relevant requirements.
2. The proposed company must have at least one idea for a new product or service related to professional scope of the applicant's faculty.
3. The TUMS participation in one of the following proposals shall be determined via the applicant's recommendation. Thus it is necessary to receive an approval from the Technology Committee and the Industry Relations Council; this in turn establishes the university's role in the realization and implementation of the idea:
a. Receiving royalties from the income: The royalty of the university shall be determined by the approval of the Technology Committee at a rate of 3% to 7% from the company's sales for at least 5 years according to facilities used from the science park and incubator center at TUMS.
b. Company’s share: TUMS can own up to 49% of the shares of the company. The amount of ownership in the shares will be determined by the Technology Committee and the approval of the University and Industry Cooperation Council at TUMS.
4- Access to university facilities by the company, and the university's duties as determined by the law and relevant regulations is mandated through the approval of the Technology Committee and the cost of related services is also paid in the form of a contract between the company and the university unit as revenue for university shares in the applicant company or as direct payment by the applicant company.
5-The formal inauguration of the company is warranted after the approval of the Technology Committee, submitting the company in the Company Registration Office and obtaining permits from legal authorities.
6-Knowledge-based companies can, in compliance with the style sheets, benefit from all the advantages provided.
7. Knowledge-based companies must adhere to the internal rules and style sheets of science park or incubator center counter-parts.