To support and promote students’ attitudes, skills, knowledge towards medical education through engagement and involvement, in line with the mission of the education development center of Tehran University of Medical Sciences.
Program and Activities
Activity # 1: Training Course on Medical Education (TCME): DANA
Training Course on Medical Education (TCME) is a course held annually in Tehran University of Medical Sciences since 2011 for undergraduate students. We have students from a variety of fields (most of them Medicine, then dentistry, pharmacy and nursing). Our goal is training students in medical education so they could help the university achievement a better educational environment.
Purposes (bullet points):
- To develop knowledge and skills of health sciences students in the field of medical education
- To enhance the quality of medical education in TUMS with involvement and engagement of students
- To articulate interest in student engagement in improvement of medical education development and other student involvements
- To distinguish more about the teaching and learning process .
This optional course is held two times in a year for students of different majors in TUMS. First year we have 8 students but now we have about 36 students in each course. We also try to have innovations in our curriculum and our learning strategies. In this course students learn basic principles of medical education such as curriculum planning, assessment, evaluation, and leadership and so on.
Activity # 2: Complementary Training Course on Medical Education (CTCME): DANA plus
Training Course on Medical Education (TCME) is a course held annually in Tehran University of Medical Sciences since 2019 for students who have a certification of basic DANA course. Our goal is training students in more specialized topics in medical education.
Purposes (bullet points):
- To develop knowledge and skills of students in more specialized topics
- To meet the educational needs of active students in the field of medical education
This optional course is held annually for active students in the field of medical education at TUMS. We also try to have innovations in our curriculum and our learning strategies. In this course students learn advanced subjects of medical education such as competency based education, clinical teaching and assessment, motivation, gamification, research in medical education, and application of SPSS in medical education research.
Activity # 3: Medical Education Festival for students
Medical Education Festival for students is held annually in Tehran University of Medical Sciences since 2018 for undergraduate and postgraduate students of different majors. Students from different disciplines have participated in this students’ festival to present their projects in the field of medical education. Before the festival, projects which were eligible for presentation as a poster or short communication were selected.
Purposes (bullet points)
- To Recognize and present students’ projects in the field of medical education
- To increase students’ engagement in medical education development
- To motivate students for improving the quality of teaching and learning process
- To strengthen outreach and engagement efforts to prospective and current students in the field of medical education
- To help faculty and staff develop connections to students for medical education development in TUMS
- To guide returning students in to relationships with new students for familiarity with medical education
This consists of different projects in various teaching/learning events, assessment and curriculum planning. At the end of this event, the best project was selected based on criteria and the prize was awarded to the students’ team, as judged by a committee. This festival consists of 3 main parts including Educational Processes, Innovative educational ideas, and research in education.
Activity # 4: Advanced short Courses for active students in the field of medical education
We attempt to provide various advanced workshops for student interested in the field of medical education based on need assessment. These workshops provide opportunities for students who have the educational roles like membership in students’ committee, or are interested in the field of medical education and who are active in this filed.
• Innovative educational ideas
This course introduces students to the ideas and new trends involved in medical education.
• HSR proposal development
The main purpose of this course is increasing students’ HSR proposals in the field of medical education. This course will enable students to develop and implement educational proposals.
• How to run an effective workshop?
This course is designed to answer the most frequently asked question of students “How can we held a workshop effectively?” in this advanced course practical tips are provided for holding a successful workshop by students.
Activity # 5: Students’ committee
The Student educational committee of Tehran University of Medical Sciences has been formed under the supervision of the Students engagement Unit with the presence of the student representatives introduced by the faculties.
Purposes (bullet points)
- To support the activities of the student workgroups and committees
- To develop mechanisms to encourage student committee activities
- To receive a periodic report of student work groups on the development of colleges' education to enhance their participation.
According to the guideline approved by the Student educational committee of the University, two students from each school (the Secretary of the Faculty Development Education Task Force and one active member of the Task Force) were introduced to the Student educational committee. In order to gain support and participation of the managers of education Development Offices (EDOs) in activating the Student Work Groups of the Faculties as well as acquaintance with the Student educational committee of University, at the Seasonal Meeting of Education Development Offices (EDOs), The expected activities for student participation in the working groups and advisory committee were discussed.
Phone: +9802188955712- unit no. 203