Specialty of General Surgery
Recently, the curriculum of General Surgery program has been revised due to dramatic changes in technology, substantive information, equipment, methods, and even diseases, and its revision was done by experts and professors in this field.
- People in their Life time are exposed to diseases and incidents, such as road accidents, fire and burns, cancers, injuries caused by disputes and wars, fall, earthquake and debris, as well as congenital physical anomalies. In some of these cases, their injured organs, specially the vital ones, need surgical interventions.
- There have been enormous changes and innovations in this field, so that the educational program is constantly changing and programmers must focus their special attention on these various changes.
- Recently, the curriculum of General Surgery program has been revised due to dramatic changes in technology, substantive information, equipment, methods, and even diseases, and its revision was done by experts and professors in this field.
- Gastrointestinal surgeries, including esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum, anus, liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, and pancreas
- Extra Cranial Endocrine Surgeries
- Breast surgeries
- Reticuloendothelial surgeries, including spleen and lymphatic system
- Skin and soft tissue surgeries
- Peripheral and visceral arterial emergency surgeries
- Head and neck surgeries (except for brain and spinal cord, eyes, inner ear, and cosmetic surgeries)
- Emergency and basic thoracic surgeries
- Emergency and basic pediatric surgeries
- Trauma and burn surgeries
- Outpatient surgeries (minor)
- Basic laparoscopic surgeries
- Cancer surgeries based on oncologic principles
- Benign abdominal and pelvic tumor surgeries
- Basic endoscopy of gastrointestinal tract as a therapeutic approach
Methods of Instruction
During this course, various methods and techniques will be used:
- Various intra- and intersectoral, hospital, interdisciplinary and inter-university conferences as well as seminars
- Discussion in small groups, workshops, journal clubs and reading groups as well as Case Presentation
- Participation in training lower ranks
- Self-Education, Self-Study
- Other training methods and techniques according to the requirements and objectives
- Participating in the ground round, journal club, case-based discussions
- Some workshops on research methodology
- $5000 annually - A scholarship is available for top applicant or scholarship is available for current medical students and participants from developing countries, each year.
- 4 years (full time)
- Majid Moeini, Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org