Specialty of Internal Medicine
Internal Medicine is a Clinical Medical Specialty in which the specialists to be with acquiring Knowledge, Skills, attitude and necessary practices will be able to act in prevention, Evaluation and Diagnosis, Care, Management and follow up of the patients.
- Technologic development, individual life style changes and more exposure to environmental risk factors have changed the picture of disease pattern (communicable, non-communicable).
- On the other hand extreme interest of Internists for graduating in sub-specialties of internal medicine, and restricting their academic and professional activities to their subspecialties, and large space allocation in Public Hospital to the equipment needed for these subspecialties are a challenging problem for the health system and Academic Authorities and Internal Medicine Science itself. In this regard with considering widespread borders of our country, community needs, General Internal Medicine with its Holistic View is in serious need for more support and attention.
- Considering all the above mentioned facts, with having in mind the necessity of strengthening General Internal Medicine wards for training general Practitioner to be, we decide to revise the curriculum with getting help from all experts in these fields.
- Services of this program involve a broad range of activities in the area of the supply, maintenance, and promotion of health, including diagnosis, therapeutic interventions, treatment and follow-up in adult patients.
Some Specific Competencies and Skills:
- Emergency Peritoneal Dialysis
- Plurocentesis Catheter Insertion for Hemodialysis
- Lumbar Puncture
- Working with Ventilator
- Articular Joint Fluid aspiration and injection
- Liver Biopsy
- Pleural Biopsy
- Jugular, Femoral Catheter Insertion
- Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy
- Cut Down
- Chest tube Insertion
- Rectosigmoidoscopy and Endoscopy
Methods of Instruction
Bedside teaching in the:
- Pediatrics general ward
- Emergency ward and clinics
- ICU wards
- Other Subspecialty wards (Gastroenterology, Hematology, Pulmonary diseases, Infectious diseases, Neurology, Rheumatology, Cardiology, Endocrinology)
- Participating in the morning report, ground round, journal club, case-based discussions
- Some workshops on research methodology
- $5000 annually - A scholarship is available for a top applicant. Alternatively, scholarships are available for current TUMS medical students and other Iranian medical universities international students and participants from developing contries each year.
- 4 years (Full time)
Who Can Attend?
- The applicant needs to have an M.D. degree or M.B.B.S. The eligible candidate must have successfully completed an approved general physician program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
- Dr. Anahita Sadeghi, Assistant Professor of Gastroentrology, Department of Internal Meidicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org