Specialty of Sports Medicine
Sports medicine is a clinical specialty that deals with prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of sport related injuries and sport-related diseases in professional and amateur athletes. It is also concerned with promotion of the level of the athletes' performance and use of sports in prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of diseases and health promotion.
- Considering the young population of the country and sport development policy (both professional and public), the number of people involved in professional sports has drastically increased over the past decade. Based on the needs assessment and special attention of the officials of Islamic republic of Iran Physical Education Organization and National Olympics Committee to the necessity of specialized training to manage medical problems of professional athletes; the need to set up an academic Program for sports medicine in the country had been confirmed. Furthermore, one of the major challenges of the present century is to slow down or reverse the trend of immobility in communities. Medical disorders such as obesity, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases and mental illnesses are all related to less active lifestyle.
- It is well established that exercising is beneficial in the treatment of these disorders. Studies show that people with regular physical activity contribute to forming a healthy and vibrant community. Education in the field of sports medicine trains physicians with specific skills and enables them to prevent and treat diseases and disorders resulting from sports. It encourages and helps people to follow a more active lifestyle. Knowing about health benefits of physical activity and desirable exercise regimes for certain subgroups allows the experts in sport medicine to encourage an active lifestyle for groups that get the highest benefit from exercise.
At the end of the program learners will be competent in the following skills:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (Basic Life Support, Advanced Life support)
- Primary care of soft-tissue / muscle injuries, fractures and dislocations
- Stitches and small outpatient surgical procedures
- Primary management of head and neck trauma in sports
- Local injections
- Bandage and splinting of fractures caused by exercise
- Performing and interpreting spirometry
- Performing manual medical techniques in sports and soft-tissue injuries
- Using tools and equipment for measuring physical fitness
Method(s) of Instruction
During this course, various methods and techniques will be used:
- Participating in outpatient sports medicine clinics in a referral hospital, sports medicine research center and some sports centers.
- Participating in the morning report, ground round, journal club, case-based discussions
- Participating in the other related discipline such as rehabilitation, orthopedics and cardiovascular clinics.
- Various intra- and intersectoral, hospital, clinics, interdisciplinary and inter-university conferences as well as seminars
- Discussion in small groups, workshops, journal clubs and reading groups as well as Case Presentation
- Self-Education, Self-Study
- Other training methods and techniques according to the requirements and objectives
- 4 years full-time.
Who Can Attend?
- Individuals holding and M.D. or M.B.B.S. degree, having successfully completed an approved general physician program, while being proficient in the English or Persian languages.
- Dr. Maryam Abolhasani, Associate Professor of Sports Medicine
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel.: (+98 21) 6634 8569