Specialty of Urology
Urology is a branch of clinical and surgical sciences dealing with preventive measures, diagnosis, management, care and rehabilitation of medical and surgical diseases of genitourinary tract and includes the following areas: diseases of the adrenal glands, kidney, ureter, bladder, urethra, and prostate, urinary incontinence in both sexes, male infertility, impotence, developmental disorders, and congenital diseases of these organs, such as ambiguous genitalia, as well as the surgery of urologic retroperitoneal and inguinal canal diseases.
- Urology has achieved dramatic progress not only in Western countries, but also in Islamic Republic of Iran in recent years. Rarely kidney and ureteral stones are managed with open surgery in our academic centers. We are currently prominent in the region in the field of kidney transplantation. We have already begun and are expanding laparoscopic training, which is used as a preferred approach in a number of diseases, such as adrenalectomy.
- Our specialists are actively involved in the management of infertility (ART) in all major cities. Currently, surgeries, such as robotic laparoscopy, microsurgery, three-dimensional surgery, the use of stem cells, selective chemotherapy against malignant cells, and treatment of urology diseases using immunological methods are included in programs of the world’s scientific societies, toward which we are advancing.
- In the next 10 years, this course in the country will be among top countries in the region in terms of educational standards, research production, and providing health services to people.
- To train specialists who are scientifically updated, competent, responsive, and sensitive to the health of individuals and society in the field of urology and interdisciplinary fellowships.
Method(s) of Instruction
- Participation in surgery based on the regulated program of the ward under the direct consultant view and with graded responsibility
- Attendance in urology clinics and joint clinics based on ward programs and daily visit to surgical departments for diagnostic measures and cares before and after operation
- Various intra- and intersectoral, hospital, interdisciplinary and inter-university conferences as well as seminars
- Discussion in small groups, workshops, journal clubs and reading groups as well as Case Presentation
- Participation in training lower ranks
- Self-Education, Self-Study
- Attendance in domestic and international conferences with an emphasis on the presentation of scientific papers in the field of urology
- Other training methods and techniques according to the requirements and objectives
- 5000 USD. A scholarship is available for top applicants, current TUMS medical students, and international students from other Iranian medical universities, as well as participants from developing countries each year.
- 4 years, full-time.
Who Can Attend?
- Individuals holding an M.D. or M.B.B.S. degree.
- The eligible candidate must have successfully completed an approved general physician program and be proficient in English or Persian.
- Dr. Erfan Amini
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org