B.Sc. of Midwifery
Midwifery is the science and the profession that deals with pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum period. In Iran, the first midwifery institute was established in the Tehran Women Hospital in 1919. After 10 years, in 1929, the first High Institute for Midwifery as one of the branches of the School of Medicine was established, which offered a 3-year midwifery program leading to a degree-equivalent qualification. Following the establishment of Tehran University in 1934 and its medical school in 1936, Women Hospital, along with its midwifery institute, merged with the Tehran University.
B.Sc. of Midwifery
- Midwifery is a sub-branch of medical sciences. Its graduates as members of health care team are actively engaged in reproductive health, health care during pregnancy, during and after the birth, neonatal care, education, sexual and reproductive health consultancy, promotion of normal and safe delivery, diagnosis of abnormal status in mother, fetus, or newborn, emergency interventions during pregnancy or delivery, and on-time referral of unusual cases. They also strive to provide and promote health of mothers, fetus, newborns, and neonates.
- The mission of this program is to train committed, competent, and knowledgeable midwifery professionals who are able to deliver midwifery services at different levels of prevention to patients independently as members of the health care team.
- In 10 years’ time, the graduated of this program, based on the program’s principles and mission, will provide effective midwifery services to patients at the highest professional standard.
- The aims of this program include helping to promote indexes related to women’s reproductive health and families, helping to reduce problems of mother, fetus, neonate, and child as well as mortality during pregnancy, and also helping to promote normal delivery.
Principles, Values, and Beliefs
- Since the family is a fundamental component of the society and the main center for human development, and since women and mothers have a central and decisive role in the family, health, and well-being of mothers and children and providing health care service for them is central in Iran’s health planning programs.
- In this educational program, taking into account that pregnancy and birth are physiological and normal events in life and the fact that prevention is more important than curing, it is essential to facilitate normal conditions for reproductive events and any abnormality should be carefully identified and treated.
- Access to appropriate midwifery services, regardless of race, culture, religion, place of residency, political interests, and economic and social statues, is the right of all families.
- Graduates of this program have a duty to deliver high-standard, quality midwifery care to patients and use the results of researcher in accordance with national goals, ethical principles, and justice within the area of their responsibilities.
- To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Undergraduate Admission Requirements.
- Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
- However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31, and the deadline for the February intake is October 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
- For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
- Tel.: (+98 21) 8889 6692 & 94, Ext.: 318 or 319
- Fax: (+98 21) 8889 6696
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
Alternatively, please refer to the School of Nursing and Midwifery at:
- Website: www.fnm.tums.ac.ir
- Address: TUMS School of Nursing and Midwifery, Nosrat St., Tohid Sq., Tehran, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.