|School||School of Advanced Technologies in Medicine|
|Department||Department of Medical Biotechnology|
As a historical fact, man has always been interested in exploring new things, and is eager to unravel the dark sides of any phenomenon. Human beings owe a lot to brilliant research studies done by known past and present researchers such as Ibn-i-Sina, Zakariya-yi-Razi, Louis Pasteur, Thomas Edison etc. These researchers have done a lot to explore the dark sides of natural phenomena and have tried to explain natural rules to benefit the public. The discovery of fermentation (i.e. the conversion of sugar into alcohol in a vacuum) by Muhammad Ibn Zakariya-yi Razi and the detailed explanation of this phenomenon by Louis Pasteur is the starting point of biotechnology field.
Nowadays, biotechnology is expanded to every aspect of human life with the help of engineering and recruiting novel tools, and has emerged as a multidisciplinary field. Medical biotechnology, as part of biotechnology, assists medicine and pharmacy in many aspects, and has revolutionized the health system through the diagnosis and therapy of diseases, genetics and drug-body interactions. The countries which possess medical biotechnology industry could gain more wealth and power internationally. With the introduction of biotechnology into pharmacy, current drugs are more effective and efficient through application of cutting-edge technologies for pushing the field ahead. Although medical biotechnology has been recently introduced in Iran, advancement of the field requires expert staff and researchers. The main aim of establishment of the medical biotechnology field is training and educating the expert personnel to contribute to the improvement of different medical and health fields and to the development of the country. To this end PhD of Medical Biotechnology uses the knowledge and techniques obtained from bioscience, exploiting living organisms and cell-derived materials, to develop the products required for treatment, diagnosis and prevention of human diseases. As such, the program primarily intends to:
- supply the required expert personnel in biotechnology for the related research centers
- supply the required expert personnel for the production sector
- expand the technology in the country as the basis for the expansion of advanced sciences
Expected General and Specific Competencies at the End of the Program:
Specific Competencies and Skills
At the end of the program learners will be competent in the following skills:
- Involvement in theoretical and practical education of biotechnology to medical biotechnology students and other related students
- Collaboration with health authorities in preparation of the related instructions
- Education of the host organization staff
- Designing, establishment and publication of the related research projects
- Assisting in designing and establishment of national and organizational research projects in collaboration with research centers and the health system
- Consultation with the production researchers in order to improve the production
- Consultation with treatment specialists
- Consultation with the health authorities in order to minimize patients’ costs
- Application of novel diagnostic methods for early detection of diseases
- Monitoring production systems of biological products
- Contribution in designing and producing biological, diagnostic and disease preventive products
- Collaboration in development of facilities/equipment required in biotechnology industry
- Involvement in management of any organizational systems related to the field
- Collaboration with the health system authorities in policymaking activities of the field
General Requirement: To apply for this program, you will need to fulfill a number of requirements, which can be found in the Graduate Admission Requirements.
Specific Requiremetns: Holding a master degree (M.Sc.) in one of the following fields: Molecular medicine, bacteriology, biochemistry, hematology, medical nanotechnology, immunology, virology, genetics, human genetics, medical biotechnology, biomedicine, agricultural biotechnology, microbial biotechnology, biology (all disciplines), parasitology, microbiology, mycology, medical entomology
• Having a doctoral degree on the following fields: MD, Pharm-D, DMD, veterinary medicine and medical laboratory sciences
, received in Iran or abroad.
The eligible candidate should have successfully completed an approved related Degree program and should be proficient in English or Persian.
Tehran University of Medical Sciences has a rolling application system and reviews student applications all year round.
However, the deadline for the September intake is June 31.
Education Fees and Yearly Expenses
For complete and comprehensive information about fees and expenses, please refer to the Education Fees and Yearly Expenses section.
Duration: 4 years
Courses and number of credits:
Prerequisite courses: 4 credits
Special Courses: 17 credits
Thesis: 28 credits
Total: 49 credits
For more information, please download the Program Curriculum of Medical Biotechnology
In case of any inquiries, you can contact the Office of International representative of the Department of Medical Biotechnology Tehran University of Medical Sciences through the following:
Contact Person: : Dr. Nasrollah Tabatabaei
Tel.: (+98 21) 43052121
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal Code: 1417755469
Address: Department of Medical Biotechnology, Third floor, No 88, Italia st., Keshavarz blvd., School of Advanced Technologies in Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
To contact the Office of International Admissions, please use the following information:
Tel.: (+98 21) 8890 2090-93, Ext.: 169
Address: No. 21, Dameshgh St., Vali-e Asr Ave., Tehran 1416753955, Iran
In case you are ready to apply, please refer to TUMS Online Application Form below.
Alternatively, you can visit the following pages if you require more information about the university: